St. Mary's Episcopal School is currently seeking a full-time assistant chaplain. This position is available as early as January 2018; but by no later than August 2018.
The mission of St. Mary's Episcopal school is to provide a superior educational experience for girls
which will encourage and enable each student to reach her individual potential.
The successful candidate will possess skills and experience that would include the ability to:
- Teach Bible and World Religions content at age-appropriate levels and to a diverse student body, primarily at the high school level
- Assist in leading our school community at chapel services in the exploration of our spiritual lives, in keeping with our identity as an Episcopal school
- Confidently facilitate meaningful, and even difficult, conversations
- Nurture a diverse community toward mutual understanding and respect
- Develop and support service learning opportunities for middle and upper school students
- Join with the chaplain, counselors, and administrators in caring for our community
- Be an integral part of the broader life of the school
- A Bachelors or Masters degree in Religious Studies, or other related field preferred
- Demonstrated teaching skills or experience
- Must be committed to the principles of the Episcopal Identity of the school while serving in a diverse community
- Outstanding organizational and communication skills
- Excellent judgement and analytical and problem solving skills
- Should be enthusiastic about girls' education, creative, motivated, collaborative and able to work with multiple constituencies
This position will report to the Chaplain.
St. Mary's Episcopal School in Memphis, Tennessee, is an independent college-preparatory school for girls two years old through grade 12. St. Mary's equips each girl to be collaborative, creative, and courageous so that she will seize the opportunities in the changing world and thrive in her generation. St. Mary's is committed to academic excellence, offering a classic liberal arts curriculum in conjunction with strong science and math programs. Students also enjoy a thriving performing and fine arts program, work with the latest technology, and participate in a multitude of extracurricular activities and community service.
St. Mary's is an independent Episcopal School; although not governed by the Church of the Holy Communion or the Diocese of West Tennessee, we benefit from a close partnership. St. Mary's board-approved statement on Episcopal identity guides the school and board in policy-setting and decision-making. The policy of need-blind admissions, provisions of financial aid to students in need, and a commitment to diversity exist in all aspects of the school.
Our Episcopal Identity
St. Mary's seeks to express the Christian faith in the Episcopal tradition, providing a uniquely expansive environment in which Christians and non-Christians can affirm together God, who transcends all creeds and religions. Being strong and comfortable in one's faith, while being knowledgeable and respectful of the faith of others, may be more important today than ever.
The Middle and Upper School community gathers daily in the Church of the Holy Communion for worship according to the Book of Common Prayer, while the younger students attend regular chapel services that are age appropriate. St. Mary's seeks to be an Episcopal School where love and respect for others are demonstrated through respectful behavior and service learning. In such a community, acts of kindness are encouraged and community service is expected. Such depth of personal commitment and expansiveness of spirit cannot be learned from books alone. Instead, these are things one learns from living, working, and worshiping in a community of faith and service. At its best, this is the kind of community St. Mary's seeks to be. As a school located in the heart of Memphis, we value our differences as much as our similarities. We honor the individual that lives inside each girl and help her learn how to recognize and develop her own unique abilities.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, resume (including references), and an educational philosophy statement to Tracey Black at email@example.com or via mail to:
Assistant Head of School
c/o Tracey Black
St. Mary's Episcopal School
60 Perkins Extended
Memphis, TN 38117
Employment at St. Mary's Episcopal School is contingent upon successful completion of a background, fingerprint, and reference check. St. Mary's does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnic or national origin in admission or in any other activities or programs of the School.