The story of St. Mary's begins in 1847.
A small parochial school came into existence at Calvary Episcopal Church because of the deep Christian faith of a woman named Mary Foote Pope. Pope may have lived in the 19th century, but her ideas were those of a 21st-century woman.
Her philosophy continues to resonate through the halls of St. Mary's today in her belief that women should have the opportunity for the same excellent education offered to men. Her vision transcends time, and today's outstanding graduates are indebted to her early emphasis on the education of women.
Pope's 25 years of leadership spanned one of the most tumultuous times in American history. In 1862, Pope relocated the School to Hernando, Mississippi, until the end of the Civil War, when she moved the School back to Memphis to the corner of Poplar and Alabama.