St. Mary's Episcopal School seeks a dynamic and innovative individual to serve as the lower school science teacher, responsible for teaching science to grades SK-2. The ideal candidate will have a history of igniting a love of science in children and be able to turn a knowledge of life science, physical science, earth science and engineering into an inquiry-based curriculum suitable for lower school students.
The mission of St. Mary's Episcopal school is to provide a superior educational experience for girls which will encourage and enable each student to reach her individual potential.
The successful candidate will:
- Exhibit knowledge and understanding of age appropriate science concepts and standards
- Create a safe classroom environment that is conducive to active and participatory science learning
- Empower students to become critical thinkers, skillful researchers, and enthusiastic scientists
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to design and implement units of instruction in conjunction with the existing lower school curriculum
- Work closely with the lower school technology specialist and with the makerspace coordinator on cross-curricular projects and special projects
- Assess student learning and instructional effectiveness on an ongoing basis, in conjunction with the classroom teacher, as needed
- Be an integral part of the broader life of the school
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Lower School Head
- Bachelors or Masters degree in science, education or a related field is preferred
- Demonstrated teaching skills and experience, preferably at the lower school level
- Must be committed to the principles of the Episcopal Identity of the school while serving in a diverse community
- Outstanding organizational and communication skills
- Excellent judgment, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Should be enthusiastic about girls' education, creative, motivated, collaborative, and able to work with multiple constituencies
St. Mary's Episcopal School in Memphis, Tennessee, is an independent college-preparatory school for girls two-years old through grade 12. St. Mary's equips each girl to be collaborative, creative, and courageous so that she will seize the opportunities in the changing world and thrive in her generation. St. Mary's is committed to academic excellence, offering a classic liberal arts curriculum in conjunction with strong science and math programs. Students also enjoy a thriving performing and fine arts program, work with the latest technology, and participate in a multitude of extracurricular activities and community service. St. Mary's is an independent Episcopal School; although not governed by the Church of the Holy Communion or the Diocese of West Tennessee, we benefit from a close partnership. As a school located in the heart of Memphis, we value our differences as much as our similarities. We honor the individual that lives inside each girl and help her learn how to recognize and develop her own unique abilities.
Download and complete an application.
You may send your complete application digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to the following address:
Assistant Head of School
c/o Tracey Black
St. Mary's Episcopal School
60 Perkins Extended
Memphis, TN 38117
Employment at St. Mary's Episcopal School is contingent upon successful completion of a background, fingerprint, and reference check. St. Mary's does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnic or national origin in admission or in any other activities or programs of the School.