Isolation, Quarantine, and Close Contact Information
If you test positive for COVID-19 or stay home with symptoms, please contact the St. Mary’s Health Center. We have a responsibility and obligation to follow strict isolation, quarantine, and vaccination guidelines. Learn more about St. Mary’s safety precautions here.
To calculate your isolation or quarantine timeline, use the Tennessee Department of Health isolation and quarantine dates calculator.
Isolation for Individuals Who Test Positive for COVID: Vaccinated or Unvaccinated
- You must be isolated for a minimum of 10 days after the onset of symptoms or positive test date.
- You must separate from everyone in the house.
- You will be released after you are without a fever for 24 hours (without fever-reducing medication) and show improvement in symptoms.
- Some severely ill patients will need to be isolated for at least 20 days.
- Positive cases without symptoms must be isolated 10 days after their specimen collection date.
Quarantine for Unvaccinated Individuals:
Any unvaccinated person in close contact (6 feet for 15 mins) with a COVID-positive person must quarantine in accordance with the CDC Quarantine guidelines. For a full explanation of the TN Department of Health's guidelines, go to the Tennessee Department of Health website.
- A 14-day quarantine is ideal. You may return to school on day 15.
- For a 10-day quarantine without PCR testing, you may return on day 11.
- For a 7-day quarantine with a negative PCR test result (tested within 48 hours prior to returning to school) and no COVID symptoms, you may return on day 8.
After ending quarantine, individuals should:
- Watch for symptoms until 14 days after exposure.
- If you have symptoms, immediately self-isolate and email the SMS Health Center.
- Wear a mask, stay at least 6 feet from others, wash hands, avoid crowds, and take other steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- If you test positive while in quarantine, you must be in isolation for 10 days from the test date or the start of symptoms. Your isolation can end on day 11. Learn more about CDC isolation guidelines.
Guidelines for Vaccinated Individuals:
A vaccinated person who comes in close contact (6 feet for 15 mins) with a COVID-positive person should:
- be tested for COVID 3-5 days after the exposure,
- wear a good-fitting mask for 14 days, and
- watch carefully for symptoms.
If you test positive for COVID while in quarantine, you must isolate in accordance with the CDC isolation guidelines for 10 days from the test date or the start of symptoms. You can end isolation on day 11. For a full explanation of the TN Department. of Health's guidelines, go to the Tennessee Department of Health website.
Local COVID Testing Sites:
- Le Bonheur’s list of testing sites for children
- Poplar Healthcare COVID drive-thru testing for the community covered by insurance
- UT COVID Testing - Call 901-203-5526 for appointment
- Shelby County Testing sites
- ZUP MED - Not covered by insurance